Creamy Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic, Basil & Parsley Butter
For these flavor-packed potatoes, we roasted them, then ran them through a ricer for ultimate creaminess. Finally, we mixed in a fragrant blend of butter and herbs for a delightful spin of a classic side-dish.
4 lb. German Butterball or Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed
1 head of garlic
5 sprigs thyme
2 tsp. black peppercorns, lightly crushed
2 5 oz. rounds Roasted Garlic Basil and Parsley Banner Butter
4 cups (or more) whole milk
1 Tbsp. (or more) kosher salt
• Wash potatoes and preheat oven to 400°.
- If using German Butterballs, place potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet or in a cast-iron skillet and roast, turning halfway through, until very tender (a paring knife inserted into the center should meet with no resistance), 45–50 minutes.
- If using Yukon Golds, place on a rimmed baking sheet or in a large baking dish and cover tightly with foil. Roast until very tender, 80–95 minutes.
• Meanwhile, cut the head of garlic in half crosswise and place in a medium saucepan with thyme, peppercorns, butter, 4 cups milk, and 1 Tbsp. salt.
• Using a vegetable peeler, remove wide strips of zest from half of lemon and add to pot; set lemon aside for the garnish. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium- high heat, stirring occasionally. Immediately remove from heat, cover, and let sit at least 30 minutes.
• When potatoes are done, use a paring knife to remove skins (it’s important to do this while they are very hot; hold them in a kitchen towel to protect your hands).
Return butter mixture to a simmer, then pour through a fine-mesh sieve into large pot; discard solids.
- Pass Potatoes through a ricer or food mill fitted with the fine disk into the large pot (or simply mash them in the pot with a potato masher) with the butter mixture.
- Set potato mixture over medium heat and whisk until liquid is incorporated and potatoes are very smooth and bubbling. Taste and season with more salt if needed. Cover and keep warm until ready to serve.
• Prepare Ahead: Potatoes can be made 2 days ahead. Transfer to an airtight container and let cool. Cover and chill. Reheat over medium, whisking constantly, and loosening with more milk if needed.
No results found in this location. Please try again.