This two-step process using a Big Green Egg, outfitted with a convEGGtor, delivers a flavorful steak that’s a go-to for entertaining because most of the work can be done ahead so all you have to do is finish off the sear before serving. Reverse searing steak gives you more control over the internal temp without sacrificing a delicious sear.
1 – 2 pound, 2 inch thick Tri tip steak, trimmed
A good coarse seasoning/dry rub with a generous amount of pepper in it and coarse sea salt to get a good crust. We used tried and true “dalmatian rub” of sea salt and black pepper.
1 clove garlic, minced
Banner Butter Roasted Garlic, Basil & Parsley Butter
When reverse searing, you’re first going to cook the steak at a low temperature, then quickly finish it on a seriously hot grill. With proper technique, you’ll have a perfectly tender pink steak throughout with an incredibly flavorful crust.
Set your Big Green Egg up for indirect cooking, using the convEGGtor and stabilize at 250 degrees F.
*tip: when setting up your cook, leave the dome open for the first 10-15 minutes for the fire to get going. Once you have a good coal bed going, about 4-6 inches across, close the dome. The temperature gauge should start to rise to about 250.
1. Smash 1 big clove of garlic to release the skin and chop to medium/fine. Pour about 1 TB of sea salt over the garlic and mash together using the knife in a pushing and pulling motion into the cutting board. this will release the garlic juices and maximize flavor.
2. Rub the tri tip first with olive oil, then with garlic, and finally and apply a generous amount of dalmatian seasoning to both sides. Let it rest on the counter for about 30 minutes while your EGG comes up to temperature.
3. Place the Tri Tip on the EGG and cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 115 F.
4. Remove and cover with foil to let it rest for about 10 minutes
*tip: If serving steak at a later time, you can prep to this point ahead and wait to sear until just before serving.
5. Meanwhile, remove the convEGGtor and switch to direct heat, and get the EGG up to 500 degrees F
6. Sear the steak on high heat for 2-3 minutes per side.
7. Remove and let rest for another 10 minutes with Banner Butter Roasted Garlic, Basil & Parsley Butter. Let the butter sit on the steak under the foil so it can really soak in and mix with the au jous.
8. Slice against the grain, and serve.