INGREDIENTS FOR THE PASTRY:
• 1 cup/130 grams all-purpose flour, plus more for the work surface
• 1⁄2 cup/60 grams whole-wheat flour
• 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
• 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 10 tablespoons/140 grams cold unsalted Banner Butter (1, 5 oz. round), cut into pieces
• 4 tablespoons/60 milliliters ice water
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten, for brushing
• Sanding sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
FOR THE FILLING:
• 1 to 2 crisp apples, such as Pink Lady (12 ounces/340 grams), peeled, cored and very thinly sliced
• 1 to 2 just ripe Bartlett pears (12 ounces/340 grams), cored and very thinly sliced
• 1⁄3 cup/75 grams packed dark brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 3⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
• 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 tablespoons Cinnamon Cardamom Ginger Banner Butter, cut into pieces
FOR TOPPING AND SERVING
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine flours, sugar and salt. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse sand with some larger pieces. Add the ice water and pulse just until the mixture is evenly moistened.
- Tip the mixture out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Use the edges of the plastic to pack the dough into a disc. Wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss together sliced apples, pears, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest and cinnamon. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured piece of parchment, roll the dough out into a 12-inch circle (rustic is fine).
- Top the dough with the prepared fruit in concentric circles leaving a 1 ½-inch border. Using the parchment paper, lift and press the edges up over the fruit, folding as necessary.
- Transfer the galette to a rimmed baking sheet. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Brush the border of the pastry with the beaten egg and sprinkle with sanding sugar (optional). Dot the fruit with the Cinnamon Cardamom Ginger butter.
- Bake until the filling is tender and the crust is deep golden brown, about 45 minutes. Some of the juices may leak out, but that’s O.K.
- Remove tart from the oven, and let it cool slightly on the pan on a rack. Transfer the galette to a serving plate and drizzle with Whey Caramel Sauce.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with any remaining caramel.
Wrapped dough can also be kept in the freezer for up to a month.